Playlists create new communication and Friendships at SLOHS

It is very common at San Luis Obispo High School to see students walking around with their earbuds or headphones on. Under the tune playing devices, SLOHS students find themselves playing the music that fits their vibe. 

SLOHS students save their music choices on a playlist that they can put on replay and continuously add to as new songs are released as time goes on. Playlists can be unique to just one individual but students find new friendships with other people over the music being listened to. 

“I think being able to share music now is like a new way of communication. You can get to know a person better by getting to know their music taste, and you can even communicate feelings to others through music you share with them,” said junior Celia Lober. 

Playlist communication can happen from listening to the song together and sharing the playlist through music apps. The most used music sources by SLOHS students are Apple Music, SoundCloud, and Spotify. Spotify even allows users to create playlists of up to 10,000 songs.

On all three apps, students find themselves following their friend’s accounts and potentially other students or individuals whose music speaks to them. Allowing the following and downloading of other playlists creates new conversations with others which eventually can lead to new friendships.

“We used to call these mixtapes. It’s the same idea,” said English teacher and Journalism adviser Scott Nairne. 

Next time a SLOHS student talks about their music taste, find interest in starting a conversation with them or even just following their Apple Music, SoundCloud, or Spotify account/playlist.