Trimester or Block Schedule? Teachers will decide

San Luis Obispo High School Students and Staff return to school today with the annual Staff Schedule Vote looming on the horizon.

The 2020-2021 Instructional Day/Schedule Vote will take place the week of December 9-13. All current San Luis Coastal Teachers Association members are invited to vote for next year’s instructional schedule. The secret ballot vote will be conducted by on-campus SLCTA representatives and the results for next year’s schedule will be announced at the Wednesday, December 18 SLOHS faculty meeting.

“The schedule vote is an opportunity for teachers and counselors to determine the instructional schedule for the school year. The schedule affects both the student and faculty experience and influences topics ranging from curriculum and course offerings to number of classes and class size,” said English teacher and Management Team President Jane Hawley.

The yearly vote, scheduled by the SLOHS Management Team, will offer three options for the 2020-2021 school year:  The current trimester, a modified semester, and a fall back six period semester.

The Trimester schedule is our current schedule.

“The Trimester is something that students are comfortable with, and I wouldn’t want to change it,” said senior Adrian Reynolds.

The Hybrid schedule includes a Wednesday and Thursday block schedule, with three one and half hour classes on both days. It includes an Advisory between Periods two and four on Thursdays. Management Team decided to put the Advisory into the school day to encourage more students to use that time to their advantage.

The 5/6 Semester Fallback remains the same as a schedule last used in the 1990s.  It will automatically be the fallback schedule if neither of the other two schedules receive a simple majority of the vote.

The Management Team is composed of no less than twelve people, two-thirds of whom shall be classroom teachers with one-half the classroom teachers elected by their associates.  Administration are also on the team.