SLOHS Gets Multi-Talented!

Students at San Luis Obispo High School take five intense classes everyday: from lessons, exams, homework assignments or projects. To ease the pressure, SLOHS students participate in interesting activities outside of school.

Expressions wanted to catch a glimpse into one of the student’s activities outside of school. We interviewed Skyle Homen to find out what she does outside of school.

Expressions: Do you have activities outside school?

Sophomore Skyle Homen: I spend a lot of time doing homework and studying outside of school, but other than that, I like to go to SLO Nazarene Church events (like youth group), work out, sing sometimes, and hang out with my friends and family. I used to play soccer but I’m not playing this year.

Expressions: Why did you choose those activities?

Homen: I am interested in all of these activities. Specifically, with youth group. I feel like I’ve found another family with my youth group. I love having a place where I can be authentic and honest with people. I’ve been going since I moved here. I’ve stayed because it’s so much fun and I’ve met amazing people there. 

Expressions: Will you maintain that activity?

Homen: I will keep on doing this activity. Hopefully, I’ll start doing private singing lessons soon as well. I’ve been singing my whole life, even if it’s annoying people. I’ve always felt just happy while singing. I’ve been away from singing for a few years, but im so ready to come back!
Expressions: How long have you been committed to it? Any stories or backstory behind your love of music?

Homen: I’ve been committed to singing for as long as I can remember. You could ask anyone in my family and they’d agree. I remember when I was younger and singing on stage and just feeling filled with excitement and confidence. 

Expressions: Do you want to pursue a career in singing or do you plan on going into something else?

Homen: I don’t plan on pursuing singing for a career. I’m good at singing, but I’m not that good! What I’m really interested in doing is helping others and working with people, so that’ll probably impact my future career.