Sports Stereotypes at San Luis Obispo High School

At San Luis Obispo High School, sport stereotypes can be a common topic of debate. There are many sports that portray different views and ideologies. 

Collared shirts, khakis, effortlessly putting a golf ball down the course… Who are these people? The golf players. Students who play golf often are categorized as the group of preppy rich kids at SLOHS. Golf players need the sport for their college application and it seems to be the easiest to join.

“I feel stereotyped because I play golf. Just because I wear collared shirts and khakis, lots of people tend to think I’m rich, privileged, and living the country club lifestyle, when it is not actually all about that,” said junior golf player Slate Gonzalez.

Sport stereotypes are prevalent at SLOHS. They can influence social status, reputation, or desire to work hard.                  

“A lot of people think [golf] is not a sport, because it seems pretty unathletic. People assume that it is not a sport because they think we ride around in golf carts all day, but we have to walk and sometimes the courses are like 7 miles which is pretty rough and it is a lot harder than it seems,” said junior golf player Sophia Silacci.                               

Football players are universally seen as as the jocks and big guys of the school. They are the ones who people think can get cheerleaders and go to parties every weekend. The stereotype isn’t much different than what it is at other schools. Although there are all these stereotypes about them, they still work hard on the field, in the classroom, and could be headed towards a winning season.

“Everybody thinks that we are just football players, we’re limited to just that and don’t think we can do anything else,” said senior football player Jeremy Fitzsimmons.