California’s Pressing Snooze

It has been a life dream for the student body at San Luis Obispo High School to wake up later for school. Of course, when they imagined it, it was at 10:00 a.m., or 11:00 a.m.. Will 8:30 a.m. work for students?

“California is causing students to get up later, which messes with their sleep cycle. Sports would be a total mess,” said senior Emma Mendoza.

People have opinions about this schedule change all across the board. Changes like these are vulnerable to polar opposite opinions because of the reasonable pros and cons on both sides. Neither side is unreasonable, or uneducated. 

“Our children face a public health crisis. Shifting to a later start time will improve academic performance and save lives because it helps our children be healthier,” said State Senator Anthony Portantino.

There is scientific evidence that shows that students don’t work as well earlier in the morning than later in the day. But how much will 30 minutes really do?

“Bus schedules and parent drop-off would have to change. Just because students go to school later, doesn’t mean parents go to work later. How would you even get to school?” said freshman Eva Voss. 

Whether or not the general public likes it, these schedule changes will be happening in California around 2022.