Are you Aware of Breast Cancer Awareness Week?

“There’s just so many moving parts,” said senior Gregory Thom, when asked about the continuous events that the San Luis Obispo High School Associated Student Body (ASB) is responsible for.

After just finishing homecoming week and the homecoming dance, ASB jumped right into getting prepared for breast cancer awareness week, which promises to include lots of pink. 

This week lasts from today until October 25, and each day of the week is going to have special events. 

“We are ordering mini pink ribbons, and then we’re gonna be handing those out to students, we’re planning to create a video to put on TNN, and on friday we’re gonna have a dress-up day,” said Senior and ASB executive counselor Bailey Frost.

One of the events lasts the entire week and has to do with fundraising.

“We’re gonna have penny wars,” said Senior and ASB executive counselor Analise Smelser.

All of the money from Penny Wars will go to a local breast cancer foundation. Penny Wars is a competition between classes on who can donate the most money.

Breast cancer affects approximately 1 out of 8 US women, and 1 out of 883 men. It is estimated that 42,260 deaths will occur this year from breast cancer.

“If SLOHS can do their part in raising money and donating to a specific foundation to help, then SLOHS is making a good cause. If everyone pitches in, then we’ll make a big change, and it will be really helpful,” said Thom.