Why SLOHS Students Are Listening to Wallows

The music culture at San Luis Obispo High School is very diverse. The interest in genres varies anywhere from ACDC to Mozart and beyond. Many songs from a semi-popular band called Wallows are making their way into SLOHS students’ playlists. 

“My favorite song would be ‘Sun Tan’. I love it because it’s such a feel good song. I discovered the band through sophomore Fiona Cross a long time ago because we have the same music taste, and we always compare music and discover new artists and bands together,” said sophomore Olivia Keller.

‘Sun Tan’ is a staple song, but not the most popular. Wallows’s biggest hit is ‘Are You Bored Yet? (ft. Clairo)’. ‘Sun Tan’ isn’t even in the top ten, but it seems to be popular with SLOHS students. 

“The song that I discovered them by was ‘Sun Tan’ and I was automatically really into their whole vibe. My favorite right now would have to be their new song, ‘Trust Fall’. I feel like all their music is very different from each song which I really enjoy,” said sophomore Ryan Schisler. 

Two songs, ‘Trust Fall’ and ‘Just Like a Movie’, were released earlier this year and give off a somewhat different vibe than the others. 

“I really like to listen to ‘Trust Fall’ and ‘Just Like a Movie’. For me, they feel more personal and give me butterflies – ‘Trust Fall’ especially because I feel like I can connect with it,” said junior Natalie Stevens. 

Wallows have collaborated with artists similar to, and including, singer-songwriter Clairo in the past. The lead singer, Dylan Minnette, just collaborated with the up and coming band  Regrettes, who will be dropping a holiday piece together later this October. 

“I’m so excited to hear the song. I really enjoy Regrettes and Wallows is one of my favorite bands. The combination of both bands is going to be so good because they both have such a cool modern rock vibe to them, and the fact that it is a holiday song intrigues me,” said Stevens.

The Wallows are on the rise of fame, but with their musical talent and great songs there is no wonder why.