The SLOHS Band We Might Not Understand

Students at San Luis Obispo High School are committed to a lot of different things, one of the biggest commitments being band. Over 100 students participate in band, playing at football games, concerts, and parades. 

Expressions set out to interview freshman band member Holly Schmitt to get an inside view on what band is like.

Expressions: What do you play in band?

Freshman Holly Schmitt: I play a variety of instruments, including marimba, xylophone, bell kit, piano, and vibraphone. I love what I play because our parts consist of many speedy sixteenth note runs and adventurous melodies that really add a lot to the final piece of music.

Expressions: Do you think band is a good community?

Schmitt: Band is an amazing community! The relationships and bonds you make with people in the band are irreplaceable. Everyone in the band is so respectful and kind to one another.

Expressions: What’s your favorite thing about band?

Schmitt: My favorite part of band is the friends that I make and spend time with. Music is obviously a big part of band, but when it comes down to it, you get to play that music and learn that music with people that are close to you, and that’s what makes the experience great!

Expressions: What is the hardest part about band?

Schmitt: One of the hardest things is really committing to it. Sometimes it feels like you’re the worst musician in the world and everyone is looking down on you. But everyday you get better and better and you learn from those mistakes and laugh at them later in life. 

Expressions: Do you use your instrumental skills outside of school?

Schmitt: I definitely use my skills outside of school. I have a drum kit at home, and I use a lot of what I’ve learned to play it. I’m also in a band of my own with some of my friends, and I can use what I’ve learned in the school band to contribute to the production of our own songs.