Link Crew: Welcome New SLOHS Students!

Link Crew is a program for freshmen and transfer students to familiarize themselves with the campus and learn more about San Luis Obispo High School. It is an awesome way to welcome new students and make them feel comfortable throughout their first year at SLOHS. On Link Crew Day, future SLOHS students get paired up with current students and get to spend the day with them; touring the campus and participating in activities and games. The current student leaders will be available throughout the year, supporting the new students and acting as a resource if they have any questions. Link Crew is an awesome way for incoming students to become part of the SLOHS community. It is also a great way for current students to demonstrate leadership and meet new classmates. Expressions talked with a Link Crew Leader, Senior Aidan Callerman, to learn more.

Expressions: What is Link Crew?

Senior Aidan Callerman:  Link Crew is an organization on campus in which juniors and seniors introduce incoming freshman to SLOHS. The freshman are grouped off and have two upper class “link crew leaders” who tell them what high school is like, give them a tour of campus, and give the freshman two experienced students to look to for any questions they might have during the year.

Expressions: When does it take place?

Callerman: Link Crew Day, when all of the freshman come, is the Tuesday before school starts, which is August 13. However, Link Crew Leaders have training days before that to prepare them for the actual day.

Expressions: What is your favorite part?

Callerman: My favorite part of Link Crew is the opportunity to help students feel more included and comfortable on campus. Link Crew is not only for incoming freshman but also transfer students who are unsure of what SLOHS is like and are most likely anxious for the upcoming school year. As a link crew leader, you have the chance to be a friend and a guide to students who could really need it and to provide a sense of relief to those who may be nervous.

Expressions: How can current SLOHS students get involved and become leaders?

Callerman: Current SLOHS students can apply next year when packets come out in May. Students have to be sophomores or juniors when they apply and must fill out an application answering questions to show how they would be good leaders. I really recommend doing it next year if you’re interested in participating in a fun and positive experience.

Expressions: Did you enjoy Link Crew Day when you were a freshman?

Callerman: I did enjoy link crew as a freshman because I was nervous about high school. Participating in link crew as a freshman made me realize how much of a positive atmosphere SLOHS has and how upperclassmen are inclusive and kind. It made me feel like I had nothing to worry about and really set the tone for my high school experience.