Graduate Christopher “Topher” Conner Goes Marine Corp.

San Luis Obispo High School graduate Christopher Conner will be serving the United States in the branch of the Marines this next year. Conner has had this dream for more than ten years, and he is excited to finally be able to live his dream.

Expressions interviewed the incoming Marine to get the inside scoop of what comes next in his life.

Expressions: Why did you decide to go into the Marines?

SLOHS Graduate Christopher Conner: I have wanted to go to the Marines for as long as I can remember. I have been surrounded by people who have been in the Marines my whole life, so I have always looked up to people in the military.

Expressions: What are you most nervous about for the next chapter of your life?/Are you nervous about different countries relationships with the United States currently?

Conner: From what I hear from a lot of my friends, the basic training is the most stressful part. Basic training is apart of initiation of sorts where you get your training done like physical tests, how to fire a gun, etc. Although, I am for sure nervous for war, but I expect it,especially with the politics. Otherwise, I am really excited for this next chapter.

Expressions: How did your family feel about your decision?

Conner: My family has pretty much always been supportive of my military ideals because they have all are related to a few people who have been in the military.

Expressions: What are the requirements to be in the Marines?  

Conner: You have to be at least a high school graduate.

Expressions: What were your thoughts while making the decision to go into the Marines?

Conner: Honestly, I made the decision right when my dream started, when I was six, so it didn’t really take a long time and wasn’t a huge thought about if I should definitely do it or not.