Happy Camping This Summer!

Many students at San Luis Obispo High School love to be outdoors during the summer; one activity that students love to do more than anything is to camp. Camping during the summer is a great way to get outdoors and relax. Whether it’s at the beach, or in the mountains, camping is a fun thing to do with family and friends. Students told Expressions about their summer camping adventures.

Expressions: Where do you camp during the summer?

Senior Gabby Schroeter: Every year, my family and I try to camp somewhere new. Last summer, we camped at Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park. However, my favorite place that we camp every summer is Mono Hot Springs in Northern California.

Sophomore Kaya Burden: It changes yearly.

SLOHS graduate Sasha Cederberg: When my family lived in Oregon, we would camp at Crater Lake.

Expressions: What is special about this camp spot?

Schroeter: Mono Hot Springs is a hidden gem. Not too many people know about it, which is what makes it so special.

Burden: Every camp spot has different hikes, weather, and activities, so it’s nice to see differences.

Cederberg: I would say it’s special because of how often my family camped there.

Expressions: What are some activities to do at this camp spot?

Schroeter: At Mono Hot Springs there are lots of natural hot springs all around that you can hike to. They are like hot tubs built into the ground, it’s awesome. There is also a river that you can fish and kayak in.

Burden: At all camp spots I usually hike, swim if available, and just go explore.

Cederberg: We would swim in the lake for the majority of the day.

Expressions: When is the best time to go camping?

Schroeter: Early summer because the weather is nice and the crowds are light.

Burden: I usually go towards the start of summer and it’s really nice.

Cederberg: Definitely the start of summer.

Expressions: What is your favorite aspect of camping?

Schroeter: I love camping because it allows you to get away from all distractions, like social media, and enjoy quality time in nature with friends and family.

Burden: Not having my phone, feeling like I really can be free from social media, that way I can connect with nature and who I’m around.

Cederberg: Being with my family and being out in nature. And the smores. Smores are nice.