How Proper Nutrition Can Boost Your Summer Workouts

San Luis Obispo High School student-athletes train hard for their respective sports and it’s important that their diet nourishes and fuels them for all the hard work they do. Many athletes at SLOHS abuse the metabolism boost that rigorous physical activity gives them by eating a lot of unhealthy foods. An unhealthy diet can cause an athlete to feel sluggish or tired when they need to compete or worse it can be detrimental to their health in the long run. Here are some tips for a healthy summer!:

Carbohydrates are not your enemy, in fact, they are your body’s top fuel source for strenuous workouts. Eating a balanced diet and focusing on consuming whole grains, vegetables, and meats; while avoiding overly processed, overly sweetened, or overly salted food or drinks. Sodas and candy bars which are high in carbs don’t provide the nutrients that we need.

“When I was in swim, my coaches told me to carb load before meets,” said junior Isabella Hoffmann.  

Be careful with diets, as reducing consumption of certain foods can be detrimental to your health. We all need to eat a healthy balance of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins that are found in grains, fruits, nuts, vegetables, and animal products.

“Depending on the sport, never eat a full meal before a game, so nothing too heavy or filling,” said sophomore Kaya Burden.

Steer clear of energy drinks and supplements!  Energy drinks contain caffeine which increases heart rate and blood pressure which can be dangerous coupled with vigorous exercise. Keep your body clean!

Stay hydrated! Drink lots of water and you’ll feel so much better.  When you exercise, you sweat and you have to drink lots of water to replace all the moisture you lost. Also, make sure you drink water not just during your workouts but all day every day because your body needs it to survive!

These tips are simply some general guidelines. Consulting with a nutrition expert or medical professional is encouraged to make sure you get the best information and nutrition advice that is best for your body.