Mid State Fair for 4H and FFA Students

The California Mid State Fair takes place in Paso Robles every year for twelve days at the end of July. The fair is a very popular event that thousands of locals and visitors will attend. It includes many activities such as concerts, tractor races, carnival rides, and livestock. This Wednesday was the first day of fair, and it will continue through July 28. Many San Luis Obispo High School students are attending the fair, and are showing livestock that they have been raising throughout the year. These students have been putting hours of their days into preparing their animals for showing.

“My experience has been mostly positive, it gets pretty chaotic with all the visitors but it’s an amazing learning opportunity and I gain so many responsibility skills that are key in life. I wake up at five in the morning every day because we have to feed. I’d say on an average day, I spend a total of 16 hours down at the fairgrounds. It gets pretty tiring after the first couple days, especially waking up early and going to bed pretty late. The most tiring days are when we wake up at five in the morning and have to show that same day,” said senior Maddy Baird.

During these twelve days, FFA and 4H students are facing early mornings and late nights, taking care of their animals and making sure they are able to perform at their best!  

“I really like it and I think it is a good way to learn more about animals. It is also a good opportunity to present yourself to the community. I also just really love animals!” said sophomore Isabella Nemling.