Summer Conditioning For Collegiate Athletes

While most students will be spending their summer at the beach and relaxing with family and friends, San Luis Obispo High School student-athletes, who will be competing at the collegiate level this upcoming school year, will be hard at work, preparing for their upcoming season. College athletes typically have different workouts they need to complete throughout the summer, in order to pass an end of the summer fitness test. The transition from high school to college sports is very intense and athletes will spend many of their summer days training and getting in shape before the season begins. Expressions interviewed SLOHS graduate Maddie Johnson, who will be playing D2 soccer at Humboldt State University, to learn more about what she will be doing this summer before beginning her new four-year soccer journey!

Expressions: How will you prepare and train this summer in preparation to play soccer at Humboldt next year?

Graduate Maddie Johnson: I will have to stay on a pretty strict schedule in order to stay on track with my summer workouts, which include endurance, sprints, weights, and overall just getting better at the game.

Expressions: Does your college give you specific workouts?

Johnson: Yes, my college gave me a lengthy summer workout packet that contains many workouts to do before I get there in order for my fitness to be where it should be.

Expressions: What do you think the most challenging part will be?

Johnson: I think the hardest part will be making sure I stay consistent throughout the whole summer and not giving myself many days off.

Expressions: How will you stay motivated throughout the summer when you will be training by yourself?

Johnson: I will stay motivated through the idea that I want to immediately make an impact and start as a freshman.

Expressions: What do you think the biggest difference will be between high school and college soccer?

Johnson: I think the responsibility, fitness, and intensity of it. Training multiple times per day as well as the commitment will be much more rigorous and time-consuming.