SLOHS Students Take The Stage!

Every year, San Luis Obispo High School students, along with other students in the community, participate in the Academy of Creative Theatre’s (ACT) annual summer musical at the San Luis Obispo Repertory Theatre (SLO Rep). ACT Production Classes allow students ages 5-18 to participate in stage productions every summer and winter, and have access to professional training. This summer, SLOHS sophomores Andrew Vander Weele and Maggie Zuniga are cast to play Prince Eric and Ariel in “The Little Mermaid”. Expressions caught up with them to get a closer look at this local opportunity.

Expressions: How long have you been involved with ACT?

Sophomore Andrew Vander Weele: I have been involved with ACT since I was five when I started taking classes.

Sophomore Maggie Zuniga: I’ve been in it for three years.

Expressions: What other productions have you been a part of at SLOHS and SLO Repertory Theatre?

Vander Weele: For SLOHS I have done the “24 Hour Musical” for two years, “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”, and “Runaways”. For SLO Rep, I have done around 14 shows there since 2014.

Zuniga: I’ve been in “Into the Woods Jr.”, “The Little Princess”, and “Mary Poppins” at SLO Rep. And at SLOHS, I’ve been in “Mamma Mia”, “Bye Bye Birdie”, and two Shakespeare productions.

Expressions: What makes SLO Repertory Theatre/ACT productions unique?

Vander Weele: SLO Rep and ACT are unique because they are part of the community. So many people come to see shows there, and each time they are amazed by its quality. As for the ACT program, it is not just children’s theatre, it teaches you so much about acting, singing, dancing, and professionalism. The shows that ACT produces are jaw-dropping and wonderful.

Zuniga: The directors. They treat students like equals. They don’t act like they’re above us.

Expressions: What are you excited about for this year’s production?

Vander Weele: I am excited to learn more from my director, choreographer, and music director. I am also excited to see the new generation of younger actors and actresses grow and learn as I did.

Zuniga: It’s my first lead at SLO Rep, which is really cool!

Expressions: What would you say to a SLOHS student who’s considering to join an ACT production?

Vander Weele: Do it. It’s the most helpful thing if you want to go into an acting career later in life. The level of work and heart that is put into this program shapes you into a professional. You will go far with manners and skills that will be taught to you.

Zuniga: Definitely do it. It’s very inclusive and very cool. Everyone becomes like a family really quickly and you make a lot of friends.