SLOHS Athletes Continuing To Practice Their Sports In The Summer

Over the summer, San Luis Obispo High School athletes have been working hard to prepare for the upcoming fall sports season. There is a large variety of sports going on over the summer such as water polo, basketball, volleyball, etc. Expressions interviewed some athletes to find out more about their summer clinics/practice.

Expressions: What sport(s) are you playing over the summer?

Junior Camryn Kay: Water Polo and Basketball.

Sophomore Sonia McSwain: Volleyball.

Sophomore Sofia Latta: Volleyball and Golf.

Expressions: Why did you choose to play that sport over the summer?

Kay: Because they are fun and keep me in shape.

McSwain: Because I love volleyball, and I want to prepare for the school high school season.

Latta: I chose to play volleyball over the summer to be ready for my club season and stay in practice so I don’t end up being super bad.

Expressions:  What is your favorite part about playing sports during summer?

Kay: My favorite part is having access to constant exercise and spending time with my friends that are on the team at practice, games, and tournaments.

McSwain: Getting to prepare myself for the upcoming season and playing with my friends.

Latta: I get to stay in shape and get ready for the upcoming school and club season.

Expressions:  What is your least favorite part of playing sports over the summer?

Kay: My least favorite part is either having to get up early for morning practices or not having a ton of free time at the beginning of the summer.

McSwain: When we work out outside or go running because it is really hot outside.

Latta: I find golf kind of boring.

Expressions: How often do you practice and/or play games?

Kay: I practice water polo four days a week and basketball about three times a week. Both sports have games and tournaments during the week and weekend.

McSwain: We have school trainings twice a week, but I also participate in volleyball camps with Cal Poly and attend clinics held by 805 elite.

Latta: I practice volleyball three times a week and run everyday. I also have volleyball tournaments every month.