Patriotism For The Win

As the middle of summer approaches, San Luis Obispo High School students are beginning to prepare for one of the biggest summer holidays, the Fourth of July. Some students travel far for this holiday and some stay right in their own backyards. Either way, gather your hot dogs, fireworks and deck yourself out in red, white, and blue as Expressions asked students about this meaningful holiday.

Expressions: What does the Fourth of July mean to you?

Sophomore Maren Ritterbuck: To me, Fourth of July has always been a holiday where I am able to have fun and relax with family and friends, but the underlying meaning of the holiday being the ability to be proud of being a free country has also been something I respected.

Senior Aidan Callarman: The Fourth of July signifies the independence of our nation from Great Britain.

Senior Nathan Kovesdi: Fourth of July is a time to enjoy our country’s freedom.

Expressions: What is the importance of this holiday to you?

Ritterbuck: The importance of this holiday is that it signifies the freedom we have as Americans and also gives us time to think back to the roots of our country and I think not forgetting that is very important.

Callarman: It marks a day of celebration in becoming a free union that could govern itself free from tyranny.

Kovesdi: It’s important to recognize the U.S.’s groundbreaking feat of gaining independence.

Expressions: What is your favorite Fourth of July tradition?

Ritterbuck: My favorite tradition that we have is that every year we invite friends over and we have a big barbecue by the pool and make time to be with each other.

Callarman: My favorite Fourth of July tradition is the fireworks because they always bring back a sense of childlike wonderment to me.

Kovesdi: I spend time with family and friends.

Expressions: What is your favorite part about being free and celebrating this?

Ritterbuck: My favorite part about having the freedom that we have is seeing how everyone else expresses it in their own way. By getting all these freedoms and seeing how people uniquely express them is important to me because it opens my eyes to a life other than my own.

Callarman: My favorite part of the freedom we have is that it has been observed by most other nations leading to a highly sovereign world population.

Kovesdi: Freedom of religion is revolutionary and changed the way people practice their beliefs.

Expressions: How do you thank the people who fight for our freedom and could you ever serve our country?

Ritterbuck: I thank the people who sacrifice our country in as many ways as possible whether it be going up to them and thanking them or buying a meal for them. I am not sure if I could serve although it is a quality that I highly admire in someone.

Callarman:  I think that military service is extremely admirable and I thank those currently serving and our veterans but I think that people can serve this nation in others ways such as community or public service that affect people directly at home and make our nation better.

Kovesdi: I wouldn’t, but I fully respect and support others who believe it is their duty.