Teen Monologues In San Luis Obispo Are Coming Soon

Every year, local teenagers write monologues and scenes to present at an event called Teen Monologues. Teen Monologues is a performance put on by the Community Action Partnership of San Luis Obispo Youth Programs (CAPSLO) where teenagers have the opportunity to speak about difficult topics that they encounter in their everyday lives. These topics include relationships, anxiety, coming out, depression, and communicating with parents about the social pressures to have sex.

Teen Monologues provides a safe and comfortable environment for teenagers to talk about these sensitive topics. It also allows students to connect with people experiencing the same situation as themselves. This year, the performance will take place at the SLO Repertory Theater on Tuesday, May 14th at 7 p.m. However, doors will open at 6:30 p.m. for a reception with local musicians and desserts. Tickets for the event are ten dollars and anyone is welcome! Expressions interviewed Sophia Longas, Health Educator with CAPSLO Youth Programs, to get more information on the event.

Expressions: Are there any SLOHS students involved in Teen Monologues?

Health Educator Sophia Longas: There are three SLOHS students participating in Teen Monologues. Both freshmen Linnea Marks and Shannon Hurley are involved in the writing process and sophomore Malia Berger will be performing.

Expressions: How many students participate, and what schools do they come from?

Longas: It varies from year to year how many students participate and what schools they come from. This year, there are eleven students and they are from SLOHS, Nipomo High School, Central Coast New Tech, and Santa Maria High School.

Expressions: When did Teen Monologues start?

Longas: The show has been going on for seventeen years.  

Expressions: What is your favorite part of the performance?

Longas: My favorite part of the whole process is that this year’s show is entirely student written by the actual performers in the show, so it’s a chance to see real folks’ stories in a real and honest way. There will be monologues and scenes that involve themes like body image, experiencing discrimination, LGBTQ+ stories, and sexual decision making.