May 1 Was National Decision Day – What’s Yours?

May 1 Was National Decision Day - What’s Yours?

On Wednesday, May 1, many San Luis Obispo High School seniors and seniors all around the country wore their college shirts, sweatshirts, and hats! This is because it was National Decision Day. This day is meant to celebrate students making one of the biggest and most important decisions of their life.

In 2018, 18 percent of the SLOHS graduates decided to attend California State University campuses, 12 percent decided to attend private universities and colleges, nine percent decided to attend University of California campuses, and 11 percent decided to go to college out of state. The remaining fifty percent decided to take a gap year or attend community colleges.

For seniors who plan to attend a University of California (UC) campus, they must submit their Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) by May 1, to let the university know whether they accept or decline the offer of admission. Seniors may accept admission to only one campus and may not transfer their acceptance to another campus after they submit their SIR.

However, the May 1 deadline does not apply to all students. Some colleges, for example, community colleges and less selective four-year schools, allow seniors to apply for admission after May 1.

While your decisions after high school are important to your future, everyone’s decision is unique and it is important to choose a decision that is the right fit for you!