Mission Enrollment is on the rise…at SLOHS

Mission Enrollment

The incoming class of 2019-2020 is starting to being occupied by Mission College Preparatory High School (MCP). For the last two years, many students have transferred to San Luis Obispo High School from MCP.

Next year, SLOHS will be getting almost one hundred more freshman students than they thought would be coming. Unfortunately, that means that MCP will be losing some of their students.

“I transferred because I needed a change, I was having a rough time and something in my life needed to change so switching schools ended up being the right choice,” said junior Katie Cole (SLOHS).

There are many different reasons for each student transferring. Some students transfer just for a change, while others have much more personal reasons.

Also, a huge part is the tuition at the school. Total tuition cost almost $15,000 while applying, registration and Capital Registration cost $1,335.

“I really like Mission. It’s fun because everyone knows everyone, the school is so small. But sometimes I wish it could be a school like SLO High, it’s easier to get away from problems there, which I think that is why some are leaving” said sophomore Julia Daou (MCP).

MCP has a total of 300 students in their entire school. While at SLOHS, there is a total of one thousand five hundred students. Each grade at MCP has about 81 kids. SLOHS has almost 375-400 students per grade.

Next school year, MCP will be losing 20 kids just in the new sophomore class. For the school, that is a big amount of their class.

“I like all the teacher and kids here. Especially the coaches, they are really experienced. I do, for sure, miss having lots of diversity of who I can be friends with, but it is also nice having few kids at Mission, it means less drama. But I think that everyone really likes Mission, and I’m not just saying that because I am the principal’s son,” said freshman Jack Susank (MCP).  

Many students enjoy Mission College Preparatory High School, but the ones who don’t are causing a thought about if there are going to be enough students at the school in the near future.