There Are Kids Who Are Just Like Me

The city of San Luis Obispo is very famous for getting all kinds of families from all over moving into, coming from the valley mostly. Those families that have children attend San Luis Obispo High School. The students have left their families and old friends to move to just a good place to get better opportunities. Meeting with these students showed Expressions the true colors behind our students of SLOHS about their journey here to San Luis Obispo.

Expressions: What made you move to San Luis Obispo?

Senior Tiara Bais: I moved to San Luis Obispo because of family problems and to have a change of scenery. We just wanted to start fresh.

Expressions: How did you feel when you first was told that you were moving hours away from your hometown?

Bais: At first I was stoked, I couldn’t wait to leave, I wanted a fresh start, but then reality kicked in after I had already moved and I realized how hard it’s going to be on me because I don’t have my entire family here.

Expressions: What were the major obstacles that you had to do to get here?

Bais: I had to leave behind my dad, one of my little brothers, one of my sisters, the rest of my extended family, and every friend and person I’ve ever known. Even the culture of SLO and the way people acted were extremely different.”

Expressions: What did you have to leave when you moved?

Bais: I had to leave my dad and some of my siblings… it’s been kinda difficult being a mature teenager without them”

Expressions: What do you miss your hometown? Would you go back?   

Bais: I honestly miss the diversity. I would go back just to visit and especially because I have a lot of family in Fresno, but I wouldn’t move back because it has good people but not a good city.”