SLOHS Prom Collides With Shabang Music Festival

American teenage girls are often tantalized with the fantasy of being the prom queen, while the boys see themselves finding the girl of their dreams. “Mean Girls”(2004), “Pretty in Pink”(1986), and “10 Things I Hate About You”(1999) are just some of the movies that portray the fantasy of American high schools event of the year.

Prom is a night for San Luis Obispo seniors to come together for one last celebration before leaving high school, and their immaturity behind when they head to college. “You make memories and missing it feels like your missing out on a part of high school and it’s fun to see everyone dressed up nice and take pictures together,” says Junior Peyton Gonzales.

Shabang is a Coachella-like concert brought right to our town of San Luis Obispo. It is filled with all sorts of activities and attractions, including good food, relaxing in the sun at a silent disco, live bands, and “mosh” pits at night. Attending also gives back to the music community, as a portion of the proceeds is donated to music programs around our county.

Sacrificing prom, a special last night for any high schooler could have some positives. For example, there would be no pressure to make prom the perfect night. From choosing the right date to the right shade of tan, prom can be filled with more stressful choices than fun. And while Shabang isn’t filled with the people from your most formative years, it can be a unique experience you will remember the rest of your life. Prom or Shabang… while very different, they both can be worthwhile experiences that will create lasting memories.