San Luis Obispo High School Girls Varsity Swim Team Update

A few weeks ago, the San Luis Obispo High School girls varsity swim team took a trip to Palo Alto to swim against six other schools. This second annual meet gave swimmers the chance to race and to improve their times. To learn more about how the season is going, Expressions set out to talk to some of the team leaders.

Expressions: What was your favorite part of the swim meet?

Head Coach Jud Clark: My favorite part of the meet was how well the girls bonded and supported each other. Everyone was positive and that helped everyone swim fast.

Senior Co-Captain Ryanne Bartolome: My favorite part of the Palo Alto meet would be the fact that everyone becomes well bonded and learns how to build off of the hyped team energy. It is also a really nice facility, which is exciting.

Junior Co-Captain Isabella Garritano: My favorite part of the meet was either the time we spent together as a team in the hotel rooms or cheering on my teammates.

Expressions: In your opinion, how do you think the team did?

Clark: More importantly than results is that our team truly came together as one! Our results were fantastic too, with 20 CIF automatic times and 14 CIF consideration times.

Bartolome: I think that we did exceptionally well considering that we didn’t have a taper period or any form of rest leading up to that meet. I am incredibly impressed and proud of everyone and their swims, I really think we pulled out some good times this year!

Garritano: I think that as a team we all pulled through and got some amazing times that will make us a force to be reckoned with at CIF.

Expressions: Do you believe that morning workouts and weight lifting have benefited the team?

Clark: I feel that working out in the weight room has greatly benefited our swimmers as we are gaining more core strength as well as becoming stronger, which is helping everyone swim faster.

Bartolome: I believe that training pays off if you put into it what you want out of it. Anyone can get through a practice, but the people that succeed with the training are the ones that take an advance and strive for more. The amount of effort that you put into your practice will reflect in your times.

Garritano: Our intensive on land and in water training is definitely benefiting our swims. Coach Jud is enforcing a strict exercise plan that, even though some people may be opposed to, is showing results in almost every athlete’s times.

Overall, The SLOHS girls varsity swim team is doing an amazing job and working their hardest. In and out of the water, team members always support each other. This bonding experience teaches life long lessons and has a positive effect on swimmers.