Pay Up Or You’re Out

A new scandal about parents paying to get their kids into college is a big topic around San Luis Obispo High School. This has left many kids wondering if they can get into college without having the money to bribe schools. It’s been discussed by certain coaches, teachers, and students, but it really makes people wonder, is all the hard work worth it?

“Students have and always will cheat to get into schools and that’s not really something that I think will or can change, but when a highly revered college allows students to buy their spot it’s indicative of the priorities of their school which, to me, decreases the value of the education they provide. Considering I’m not going to buy my way into a school, I don’t regret working hard in high school, even though it does make me salty that some kid can chill for four years and make it into Yale off of daddy’s money,” said senior Max Cassady.

Actress Laurie Loughlin who is most known for playing Rebecca in “Full House” bribed a college with $500,000 for her children to attend college. This is just one case of fifty parents who participated in this crime. These bribes were mainly made towards big universities such as Yale or Harvard but UC Santa Barbara has been mentioned in this scandal as well, but it is yet to be confirmed that it was involved.

“Hey, it’s capitalism at its finest. The free market has faults, and bribery is one of them. I think it’s f***ed up and corrupt that rich families think they are entitled to more exclusive education than the average Joe just because they have money,” said senior Isaac Lerner,

Many students at SLOHS are wondering if all their hard work isn’t going to matter because other parents will just bribe the college to get their kid accepted without them doing any work. Even though it’s a small chance it has affected them, there are very few, if any students at SLOHS that could buy their way into college.

“It sucks to put all that hard work and effort into academics only to have it taken from you due to them having money to buy their way into college. It’s really upsetting to know someone can take your spot in college because they have more money than you,” said junior Isabella Luna.

With over seven hundred and fifty families affected it just leaves people wondering if that’s why they were rejected by their dream schools, and leaves people applying now, wondering if they will be accepted at all.