San Luis Obispo High School’s “Mamma Mia!”

San Luis Obispo High Schools Mamma Mia!

Last Thursday, San Luis Obispo High School’s clan of thespians debuted their newest production: Mamma Mia! After several months of practice, the cast pulled off the romantic comedy musical featuring over 15 ABBA songs ranging from the soft-spoken “Thank You for the Music”, to the classical number “Dancing Queen”. Come see the musical to be transported to the beautiful Greek island of Kalokairi, and serenaded by an assembly of voices, led by sophomore Marguerita Zuniga and McKenzie Pflegl, who both play Donna Sheridan, the main character of the show.

Act one brings the audience to the small community of Greek laborers working for Donna and her soon-to-be-married daughter, Sophie. Sophie’s impending wedding to fiance, Sky, brings not only happiness and excitement to the island, as family friends arrive at the scene, but also an overwhelming sense of anticipation. Behind her mother’s back, Sophie invited three men who she believed could be the father she never met or knew. When they arrive, the real drama begins, as Donna, Sophie, and the three potential dads come to realize everything going on, mere hours before the big day.

“My favorite part of being in Mamma Mia! is getting to perform in a musical that consists of all my favorite songs, as well as spending time with my friends,” said senior Malia Carinio. Mamma Mia! gives students of all ages and levels of theatrical chance to come together to put on an entertaining show, while developing friendships and acting skills.

“I think it’s so cool that I got to watch my friends as characters from one of my favorite movies/musicals of all time and just how much more funny everything was because I knew everyone up there,” said senior Zhayle Piurque who came and saw her friends perform in last week’s Friday night show. Seeing friends and family in the audience makes the whole experience even more fun as an actor, and makes the show more memorable for everyone.

As previously mentioned, Mamma Mia! features individuals with acting experience ranging from near professional to absolute beginner. Seniors Hamza Mohammed Ali and Edward Meyer had no prior experience in the drama department, yet both landed lead roles.

“It’s just a super fun musical, draws out every emotion, and a stunning dad cast,” said boxer Mohammed Ali on his opinion on the show.

As a lighthearted comedic musical, Mamma Mia!  is sure to spark joy and quite a few laughs for all who go to see it, so don’t miss your chance. Four shows remain: This Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 7:00 p.m., and a Saturday matinee at 1:00 p.m. Come out and support your fellow classmates, and be transported to the hilariously beautiful world of Mamma Mia!