SLOHS Mock Trial Team Advances To State Competition

The San Luis Obispo High School Mock Trial team is victoriously going to the state championships for a second year. Mock Trial is a club at SLOHS dedicated to getting students familiar with the law and court, as well as improving public speaking skills. After winning nearly every trial during the county level competitions, the SLOHS Mock Trial team came back with a first place trophy.

“Mock trial is known for being a lot of work. But even though a lot of time and effort is required, it always ends up being a lot of fun. Shout out to everyone on the team for doing so well this year,” said sophomore Landis Blakeslee.

Although each student on the team has been expected to be working diligently since November, the state competitions are worth the stress and time, and it can even end up being a fun experience.

“I am excited to see if the hotel has free chocolate chip cookies like the Doubletree did last year. The best part of going to state is bonding with the team and hanging out with them. But hopefully, that bonding will come in the form of asking for, as well as receiving, warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies,” said junior Basil Lloyd-Moffett.

Mock Trial is a unique experience consisting of different roles and parts that makes going to state even more exciting.

“We are preparing for the competition by memorizing our parts and acting in our role as if we really were another person: lawyers, witnesses, police officers, etc.,” said junior Lulu Dai.

The Mock Trial team is leaving for Sacramento to compete, and they are ready to try their hardest.

“It’s like being on a rollercoaster. And it takes a lot of courage to go on it, and once you’re on it, you’re half dreading and half looking forward to the end. And then you go into a big, scary loop, but it’s okay because you are having fun with your friends. And hopefully, you get chocolate chip cookies from a hotel after that,” said Lloyd-Moffett.