SLOHS Students Visit Live Oak Music Festival

Live Oak Music Festival has been going on for a little over fifty years and many students at San Luis Obispo High School have attended it for many years. Live Oak has typically been held every year on Father’s Day at the Live Oak Campsite near Lake Cachuma. This year, however, due to increasing dry weather conditions, it has been relocated to San Luis Obispo County at El Chorro Regional Park, which is across from Cuesta College. Expressions talked to two students who have attended this event in the past.

Expressions: How long have you been attending Live Oak?

Sophomore Helen Hoadley: It’s only been about three years.

Senior Abigail Howe: Since I was ten.

Expressions: How do you feel about the location change?

Hoadley: I think with it being in SLO, it will change the dynamic more than anything.

Howe: I think it won’t be the same and they should have kept the old location because that’s what makes Live Oak so special.

Expressions: What do you think it will be like this year with the new location?

Hoadley: More SLO people will go and probably fewer people from out of town. This could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the turnout. I also think more college students will go due to the convenience and fewer people will camp.

Howe: I don’t think it will be as special since the location was such an important part of the festival and everyone knows that site so well.

Expressions: Will you be attending this year?

Hoadley: I am planning to go this year, but I don’t think it will necessarily be better or worse, just different.  

Howe: No because it’ll have a different crowd and it doesn’t feel like the same festival.

Expressions: What is your favorite part about Live Oak?

Hoadley: One of my favorite parts is probably the location. The hot weather, dusty air, and tall oak trees are all part of what makes Live Oak what it is.

Howe: I loved listening to the jam sessions and how safe it feels. Live Oak was the first place my parents would let me go off by myself without them knowing where I was.

View Comments (1)