Why Saturday School Is A Silly Idea

Why Saturday School Is A Silly Idea

Here at San Luis Obispo High School, the school will discipline students by giving them Saturday school for their tenth tardy. I do not think this is a good policy at all for multiple reasons.

Most students are usually around five to ten minutes late to class if at all. Having to go back to school on a Saturday for three hours for missing a little of the start of class ten times is absurd. The weekend is supposed to be the students’ time, we should not have to spend it in the library for three hours of our own time. Some people may not be able to get to school on time every day because they might not live in SLO.

“I get to do some school work and then the only part that I don’t really mind waking up at 8:00 [a.m.] and working until 11:00 [a.m.] because normally I wake up at 12:00 [p.m.] and get nothing done. It’s just an inconvenience really,” said junior Dylan Good.

Now I am not saying that being late to class should go unnoticed with no consequences. Trash pickup is a great alternative to Saturday school. If you miss a little of the start of class several times, it is more than fair to miss a little bit of your lunch to pick up trash. Also, picking up trash is a more productive way to spend your time instead of sitting in the library most of the time at 8:00 in the morning. So, instead of having Saturday school for your tenth tardy, it could be two trash pickups and then three for your fifteenth tardy.

It is an inconvenience for everyone, including the teachers who have to sit there with students for your three hours. I am sure that the students hate it just as much as the teachers.