What To Do For Martin Luther King Jr Day

Martin Luther King Jr Day is a great opportunity to celebrate and recognize the impact that Martin Luther King Jr had on the history of our country. While it’s always a good idea to honor those who had a good impact on our history, MLK Day is a time to commemorate and educate oneself about ways to make our world a better place.

“On Martin Luther King Day, my family and I don’t necessarily have a celebration but we take time to recognize what he has done for the equality and inclusion of African Americans like ourselves and all people of color,” said sophomore Christian Jones.

It’s easy for people to get caught up in their own lives and forget the importance of a figure like Martin Luther King Jr on our country. Many students don’t know much about what he did and accomplished for the United States.

“For MLK Day I’m planning on sleeping in and just relaxing at home. I might try and get ahead on some homework or finish up stuff I haven’t done,” said sophomore Noa Johnson.

A lot of students at SLOHS know why MLK Day is important, they just don’t know how to celebrate it. Supporting organizations that fight for racial justice or watching films about Martin Luther King’s life is a way to take time out of the day to support someone who had a big impact on our country.

“I think it would be cool if teachers did something to celebrate him the Friday before so it would add some meaning to the day,” said sophomore Casie Monroy.

While the meaning of this day differs for many students, everyone has the day off to celebrate him. Some people get together with family to recall the significance of Martin Luther King and other people just take the time to celebrate the day off from work and school. Either way, MLK Day off is a good way to think back to the importance of this figure on our country.