Why San Luis Obispo High School Should Have More Language Classes

American Sign Language (ASL), Spanish, and Latin are the only three language classes you can take at San Luis Obispo High School. As a freshman at SLOHS you are required to take a language class, and even after freshman year many people still take these classes throughout all of high school. But having so many students, and only three language classes just doesn’t seem right.

“As someone who already knows English and Spanish, it would be nice to have more language options such as French or Italian. I feel like it would be beneficial,” said freshman Lakeisha Rios.

It’s understandable why these classes are being offered. Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world. Latin is considered a ‘dead language’ but is still taught because it is a base language. And ASL is the third most used language in the United States. These are great classes to have but there should be more.

“Having more language classes would be a good thing because they can help prep students that want to travel the world because they would know the languages,” said senior Michelle Williams.

Having more languages to take such as French, Chinese, or Russian, which are all popular and growing languages, would help SLOHS by adding more classes so not every class is full, could expand knowledge on languages and backgrounds from where the language comes from, and be useful for any sort of foreign exchange or communication to other countries.

In conclusion, having more than three language classes available to students would be beneficial to SLOHS campus and it’s students.