Do Standardized Tests Really Help Our Learning?

The SBAC test and other standardized tests are something that all students at San Luis Obispo High School take starting in elementary school. Students in third through eighth grade take it and so do eleventh graders. The test involves math, English, and language arts. As well as with other district and state test, students usually don’t feel the obligation to do as well on them as the majority of them don’t count towards their grade.

“In eighth grade, I didn’t really try that hard. I knew it wasn’t going to count for my grade, and I didn’t understand why I had to take it,” said freshman David Tilden.

It is understandable that the state and district use these test to view the scores in schools and compare them to other schools. However, is it fair to assume a student’s knowledge from one test?

“The SBAC and other standardized tests are not fair. A student’s test score is meant to represent their overall knowledge to the district or state. It would just make more sense if they would look at our PowerSchool grades,” said freshman Lauren Anderson.

The SBAC is also very long. For each subject, there are two hours allowed to take the test. Some teachers also don’t allow stretch breaks and it is very difficult for some students to concentrate for that long of a time span. The distractions in the class and inability to concentrate at some points can cause a student to get a lower score.

Overall the SBAC testing is unnecessary and causes stress for something that can be easily seen in class grades.