Girls Varsity Soccer Kicks Off New Year

Girls Varsity Soccer had their first league game last night against Righetti High School at Holt field. The girls have been practicing very hard this year by taking time out of their winter break to meet up and practice. They even go that extra mile and stay after practice sometimes to get some extra shooting reps in.

“I had some butterflies going into the game, but since I’ve been in this position before I knew what to expect and had to channel my little nervousness and use it to my advantage out on the field,” said senior captain Sydney Knauer.

Kelsey Shetler scored the first goal and the girls were up 1-0 in the first half. Righetti came back in the second half to score three goals with a remaining score 3-1.

“That’s just how soccer goes sometimes. It’s a completely unpredictable game. You could be dominating the entire time and then one wrong bounce and the other team is ahead,” said senior captain Kelsey Shetler.

The goalkeeper junior CeCe Devaney was injured in the first half and sophomore Haley Block stepped up to finish out the game. The girls had great defense and fought really hard. The game was a great reminder to the girls to stay mentally tough throughout the entire season.

“Our team goals this year include sharpening our touch mentally and with the ball as well as leaving our hearts on the field every game,” said senior captain Cassidy Block.