Embrace The Magic Of Studio Ghibli

Many San Luis Obispo High School students recognize the iconic Studio Ghibli Totoro logo, but not all of them have seen the films created by the studio. The Japanese animation film’s range in storylines from a goldfish turning into a human girl and developing a friendship with a little boy in “Ponyo”, to a young girl getting trapped in an abandoned amusement park that doubles as a supernatural resort for creatures that are tired of the earth realm in “Spirited Away”. The plots are filled with magic such as Catbuses, talking animals, people turning into pigs, and important themes that have to do with the environment, friendship, female empowerment, and adventure.

The animation is what tends to draw children into the movies, but the themes are what makes them important films for all ages to watch.

“When I was little, I really only enjoyed the pretty pictures and cute characters, but now I actually understand the complex stories and their messages,” said senior Clare Dooley.

If you have never watched a Studio Ghibli movie before, it can be hard to know where to begin. “My Neighbor Totoro”, written and directed by Studio Ghibli co-founder Hayao Miyazaki, is the story of two little girls’ interactions with animal forest spirits. It is a good place to start because it is the face of the studio and one of their earliest films.

“The best one to watch first is ‘Spirited Away’ because it’s fun and I like all of the food.” said junior Sarah Rolph.  

The animated food in the movies is a work of art on its own and is sure to leave you hungry after watching it. In “Ponyo”, they show the process of mouthwatering Ramen being prepared. In “Spirited Away”, there is an entire buffet of food that leaves viewers wishing that they could pull it out of their screens.

“My favorite movie is “Spirited Away” because the animation and the details are so amazing. I loved watching it growing up. Now, looking back and being able to understand the meaning of the movie, I can take away the importance of remembering who you are and whom you want to be. Chihiro remembering her name, in the end, was such an important factor in her return to the real world which shows that knowing who we are as humans helps keep us grounded,” said senior Samantha Gibbs.

The music in the films is relaxing, but fun, and another reason why they are such a success.

When asked what his favorite Studio Ghibli film was, senior Jordan Joel said, “Howl’s Moving Castle.”

“I love the story, and every time I watch it, I come to appreciate it more. Also, the music is pretty bomb. The plot progresses in a way that you get to know and love the main characters. All around it is a very charming movie,” said Joel.

As we finish up finals, this week and seniors continue to submit their college applications, turn on a Studio Ghibli film and take some time to destress during Thanksgiving break. Whether you rewatch or watch a Studio Ghibli film for the animation, magic, or themes, you will remember what it is was like being a kid again, which is a type of magic on its own.