San Luis Obispo High School’s Newspaper Class: Expressions

San Luis Obispo High School’s Newspaper Class, Expressions, produces nine print newspapers each year. Students at SLOHS can join the class as an elective. The class is divided into reporters and editors. Senior editor-in-chief Kara Hoover and English teacher and advisor Scott Nairne run the class.

“You should join Newspaper because it is a class where every person can find something they are interested in. If you like graphic design, taking pictures, drawing, or have other talents, you can find a way to weave them into Newspaper,” said Hoover.

Reporters make up the majority of the class and are typically the students who are new to Newspaper. As reporters, students come up with story ideas to write about for the next issue of Expressions. They are then assigned two articles by the editors. Reporters write their two articles and submit a first, second, and third draft. These articles are critiqued and improved by the editors.

“Being a reporter is interesting, and I consider it to be fun. I get to leave class and pull out random people and get to know them better. I would have to say that I enjoy the class and would recommend many people to take it,” said senior reporter Scott Andree.

Some reporters like the class, but others find it stressful and difficult.

“The class is very stressful, and the grading system is wack. It made me cry in English once when I couldn’t find my article,” said senior reporter Laura Galanos.

There are six editors in the class. Each editor is in charge of a page in the newspaper. Editors try to advise reporters on how to write the articles they have been assigned. Then, the editors chose the best articles and format their page. After that, the paper is put to press and the process starts over again.

“Overall, the class is pretty fun, just don’t expect it to be easy,” said senior sports editor Nathan Hensinger.