A New Take On “Sabrina The Teenage Witch”

San Luis Obispo High School students suffer from the troubles of growing up, including getting along with family. However, what if those family problems included arguments such as: should I pledge my soul to the Dark Lord and give up my mortal life?

These are exactly the questions that teenage witch Sabrina Spellman has to ask herself in the TV show “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina”. The program came out on Netflix on October 26 and is a spin-off of the original comic book “Sabrina the Teenage Witch”.

“Most people I’ve talked to don’t even realize that this is a spin-off of a comic, and I think that style of reviving a classic is very interesting. I also find the cinematography, set design, and overall aesthetic of the retro look in a modern period very fascinating,” said senior Janea Huber.

The series begins by showing Sabrina preparing for her Dark Baptism, which is what a young witch must do at the age of 16 to become a full-fledged witch. The ritual involves signing your name in the book of the devil and pledging your loyalty to The Church of Night, which is the name of this particular coven.

However, the plot thickens when Sabrina begins to doubt the intentions of her family’s coven. She struggles with the thought of having to give up all contact with her mortal friends and doesn’t enjoy the idea of having to break up with her boyfriend, Harvey.

“I think it’s good. I like that it’s a little bit scary,” said senior Maya Nitzel.

The TV show has become a massive hit among teens and marked yet another success for Netflix Originals.

“I really am enjoying the show so far, especially because of the acting in it, and how the creators depicted the story slightly differently to Sabrina the Teenage Witch, with things like a more spooky storyline,” said senior Ella Livingston.

The first season is currently available on Netflix for students to enjoy and add a little spookiness to their holiday season.