The Climbing Craze

San Luis Obispo High School students have become increasingly involved in indoor climbing. But is the hype surrounding this new activity worthy or unsolicited?

With students now flocking to climbing gyms rather than to traditional gyms or recognized sports for their exercise, the validity of climbing as an avenue for exercise comes into question. Under examination, however, one can see that the health benefits of climbing are extensive: cardio and strength building, improvement of flexibility, reduced stress, and increased mental strength.

“I love that climbing is a sport that anyone can get into, and that the climbing community is so strong. Climbing is a great sport that you can do on your own time to stay in shape as well as meet tons of new people. I think that climbing is superior [to other forms of exercise] in that if you devote time to it, you will gain more strength than from many other sports and will acquire better fitness in a faster and more enjoyable way,” said sophomore April Engelmeier.

Climbing in itself is a unique and fun way to get exercise for many; it works not only one’s body but also challenges mental stamina, making it a very enticing form of exercise.

“It’s a great sport because it works muscles you don’t usually use, and it works upper and lower body muscles simultaneously. It’s also an individual sport, so you don’t need a team, and you can independently push yourself and strive for success,” said sophomore Helen Hoadley.

The Pad, debatably the most popular climbing gym in San Luis Obispo, mainly offers climbing without harnesses. This entails climbers landing on pads beneath the wall they climb if they fall. While this may elicit fear in some, it only makes the activity more thrilling and exciting to others.

“If you do another sport, it’s a good way to cross-train, and it’s also a less common activity, so you feel really cool talking about it,” said sophomore Grace Rubio.

Whether it be for the thrill, fun, or health benefits that draw individuals towards indoor climbing, it can be seen that this new trend in exercise is one that people should consider trying out for themselves.

For more information, you can access The Pad’s website at https://thepadclimbing.org/san-luis-obispo/.