Meet Freshman Varsity Water Polo Player Fiona Cross

With San Luis Obispo High School transitioning into winter sports, Expressions decided to ask freshman varsity water polo player Fiona Cross to recall her favorite moments of the past season.

Expressions: Do you feel like you were at a disadvantage being a freshman on a varsity team?

Freshman Fiona Cross: Since it was my first year of high school, I didn’t really know anybody on my team, which made it sort of intimidating at first. I thought that since I didn’t have as much experience as my other teammates I would be ridiculed, but everyone was really supporting and welcoming. Now that it’s nearing the end of the season, I think being a freshman on a varsity team actually benefited me because I was able to meet a lot of new people.

Expressions: What was your favorite memory of the season?

Cross: I think that the whole season was memorable, so I don’t really have a favorite memory. Some moments I’ll miss are the celebrations we had after we won a game and the anticipation before a game. I think the thing I will miss the most is the encouraging vibe the people around me gave.

Expressions: What was your favorite part of working on a team?

Cross: I think that the best part of working on a team is the closeness you develop with your teammates. Everybody has to contribute, it’s not a sport like track where specific people get first or second place, on a team you win as one or lose as one.

Expressions: What advice would you give to incoming water polo players?

Cross: I would tell them to enjoy every moment of the season because it will be over before they know it.