The Benefits Of Attending College Night

With San Luis Obispo High School seniors having to make important decisions regarding college, it can be challenging to get the necessary information to make these significant choices. College Night at Cuesta College is a free event to all SLOHS students who are interested in getting access to this information.

“College Night is Monday, October 29, it starts at five p.m. and runs through eight p.m.,” said career and college technician Colleen Martin.

Seniors who are looking toward college and working on their applications get access to helpful information.

“I would hope to get a better understanding of every day or weekly college life as well as more information on scholarships that I can apply for or am eligible for,” said senior Hannah Fowler.

“If you’re a senior, you can ask those last minute questions to a rep, who’s usually actually reading your application,” said Martin.

While College Night may seem like it is catered towards just seniors, it is an advantage to juniors to attend.

“I think it would have been better to go last year because this year I already have a list of colleges and information on them,” said Fowler.

Even if college is not right around the corner for the student or parent, they can still prepare for the upcoming college process by attending college night.

“For ninth, tenth, and eleventh graders it’s a great overview of all sorts of colleges, and there’s twelve to sixteen different workshops, everything from NCAA sports recruiting, to financial aid, to essay writing,” said Martin.

During this stressful period for parents and students, more clarity on the daunting college process can be attained.

“Sometimes at college night, you’re able to have a really nice conversation with one of the reps, especially some of the small liberal arts colleges, that perhaps didn’t offer a college rep visit here at school. [Also] that could be the deciding factor on whether to apply to that school,” said Martin.