Do Students Disrespect Teachers On Campus?

San Luis Obispo High School teachers are disrespected by students during class time because they chat with their friends, use a rude tone of voice, or lack participation. There are many reasons for this; one of them being the disconnect between students and teachers due to cell phones.

“I think cell phones and earbuds have led to some perceptions of disrespect. Some adults see it as disrespectful for someone to be on their phone while you are talking to them, but for some students, it seems normal and not a problem,” said Spanish teacher Jasmine Elliott.

Often, students do not even realize that they are impolite because disrespect is typical in today’s society. Students are exposed not only to hateful and rude comments due to social media, but they are also given the knowledge that their actions have no importance in the online world of social media.

“Cowardly people can definitely hide behind a screen. They don’t stress about consequences, and it gives people the feeling that they don’t need to worry about what would happen if someone were to confront their actions,” said freshman Skye Holmen.

Students feel that it is safe to make rude and unnecessary statements because they are under the protection of a screen, and the average person will not do much to figure out who is leaving hateful comments. Students grow up in this type of environment and begin to develop with the normality of being disrespectful to people on the internet and bring it into classrooms.

Whether it is whispering under their breath or completely disregarding rules, a student can significantly impact a teacher’s life. Teachers work hard to train and help with the development of the next generation, but instead of being met with gratitude, they are repaid with snappy and impolite students.

“I have on occasion felt disrespected due to talking and side chatter but I am not sure the students meant to be disrespectful. There may have just been differences in perception which is why setting expectations are imperative,” said Elliott.

“I’ve definitely been disrespectful to teachers before. I don’t mean to, but occasionally I will start talking when I am not supposed to. I don’t think much of it because I never thought it could impact a teacher so much,” said freshman Carmen Davila.

Students nowadays don’t realize how rude they are being by sitting with an earbud in or chatting with their friends.

Although it seems that disrespectful students flood the world, others can make a change by showing more respect and gratitude towards their teachers and the effort they put into raising the next generation.