Environmental Education Affects Everyone

At San Luis Obispo High School not everybody is aware of the importance of being an environmental steward. As information about controversial topics such as climate change are circulating around the media, not many people know the facts and how to better their carbon footprint.

“I blindly consume all media information without questioning or thinking about it,” said junior Basil Lloyd-Moffet.

The environment affects everybody and it is important to be knowledgeable about ways to help. SLOHS struggles with efficient and sustainable recycling practices. Students are unaware of the proper bins to dispose of their waste.

“I think the key to becoming a better environmental steward and reducing our carbon footprint would be to become better educated in all issues that are hurting our environment world wide,” said environmental club president Suraj Patel.

Students are also oblivious to opportunities SLOHS offers to learn about the environment such as environmental club. They meet every other Wednesday in room 105.

“[environmental science]being my undergrad I feel that it is very important to understand that there are causing a lot of things to go extinct and aren’t necessarily good for the longevity of our planet,” said teacher Rylee Birdsall.

Overall, SLOHS should make a bigger emphasis on the pressing issues concerning the environment.