Isabella Hoffmann: The Currents’ Young Drummer

Students at San Luis Obispo High School do not end their day when the bell rings. They scurry off to practices, lessons, tutoring, or in sophomore Isabella Hoffmann’s case, band practice. She recently joined The Currents, a garage band that plays “surfer rock”. She plays the drums and is the fourth member of the group, including SLOHS senior Joella Holmes and Arroyo Grande High School students Izzy Pedego and Tanner Price. Expressions decided to sit down and learn more about her life in an active band.

Expressions: Why did you decide to join The Currents, and how do you contribute to the band?

Sophomore Isabella Hoffmann: I decided to join The Currents because I wanted to play in a band. I contribute because I can play a lot of types of rock which allows me to be able to play this genre of music.

Expressions: If you could change the genre of music you guys played, what would you choose?
Hoffmann: More rock and roll and less surf rock. I am really into Led Zeppelin and would like to play more complicated music so I could highlight my ability of playing.

Expressions: How long have you been playing the drums and why did you choose them?

Hoffmann: I have been playing since December of 2016. I guess because guitar was way too hard for me to learn and drums I understood a lot better.

Expressions: Do you feel like you have any advantages or disadvantages being the youngest member in the band?

Hoffmann: An obvious disadvantage is that I haven’t been playing my instrument as long as the other members have been playing theirs. I also haven’t been with the band since the beginning which affects our ability to play together. It also sucks because I haven’t gotten to know each member as a person first, only as a artist.

Expressions: What has been your favorite experience with the band?

Hoffmann: My favorite experience would probably be when we were performing our original song “You’re Not Right” and I was able to incorporate some pretty cool drum fills.