SLOHS Girls Tennis: A New Atmosphere

With the San Luis Obispo High School girls tennis season coming to an end, both the new coach and returning players are able to begin to reflect on their experiences. Head Coach Paul Fiala, who helped coach the girls Varsity Tennis Team last year, returned to SLOHS this year to not only lead the team to victory, but also to a strong team bond.

The Tigers proved victorious against Arroyo Grande High School, a team they haven’t beat in eight years. Their hard work and spirit has certainly paid off.

“My goal was to create an atmosphere where hard work and the focus on improving each day is the norm.  Having belief in yourself in all competitive situations is key as well–so, working towards having each player trust themselves that their game will be good enough every time,” said Fiala.

Fiala worked to inspire the players to compete their hardest, no matter who their matches were against. He also made sure that competition wasn’t the team’s only focus.

“I wanted them to bond as a team and have a lot of fun going through the season together,” said Fiala.

Not only have the Tigers experienced new coaching and new victories, but they have also thrived in a new atmosphere.

“I think that with our new coach this year the atmosphere has improved immensely. The team is working as one unit rather than single players. There is far less competition among teammates and more positivity and equality among everyone,” said junior Paige Lund.

Aside from competing, the Tigers were given the chance to build upon friendships and make memories together.

“My favorite memories are all the boba runs our team takes together after practice, which has been a tradition handed down by the graduated players,” said Lund.

“My favorite memory with the team would be during our tournament in Clovis. As a whole, the tournament was really fun, but I think the team got a lot closer when we were there, which made it even better,” said senior Riley Miklik.

With dedication, friendships, and success, the SLOHS girls varsity tennis team have much to be proud of and to look forward to.