“Isle Of Dogs” Film Review

Many students at San Luis Obispo High School can relate to having great amounts of love for their pets. But imagine living in a city where a mass case of canine flu takes over the population of dogs, forcing the mayor to banish them all to an isolated island covered in trash. This is exactly what happens in director Wes Anderson’s 2018 stop-motion animated science-fiction film, “Isle of Dogs”.

“Isle of Dogs” follows the story of young Atari Kobayashi, who lives under the authoritarian Mayor Kobayashi of Megasaki City, Japan, who also happens to be his uncle. Due to the outbreak of canine flu, the first dog to be exiled is Atari’s dog, Spots, who will be just one of the hundreds of dogs sent to Trash Island. Atari, overcome with grief of losing Spots, steals a plane and flies to Trash Island to hopefully bring him home.

After a crash-landing, he is greeted by a pack of dogs led by one named Chief, and they agree to help him on his journey to find Spots. Their journey takes many turns, but inseparable bonds are made between Atari and the dogs as they face the obstacles of corrupt Mayor Kobayashi and the island itself.

“Although the movie was littered with deadpan humor and goofiness, I still felt very invested and cared what happened to the characters,” said senior Nathan Hensinger.

Anderson opened his movie at the 68th Berlin International Film Festival and received the Silver Bear for best director. It features many iconic voices including Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum, Scarlett Johansson, and Bryan Cranston, all of whom are recurring actors in Anderson’s films.

If you’re in the mood for a movie that’s dry, yet lighthearted and fun, “Isle of Dogs” is a must-see for 2018 films. It is now out on DVD.