High School Sweethearts Build A Life Together

Fresh Off The Boat/High School Sweethearts Build A Life Together

Finding a place to live in San Luis Obispo County is always difficult—what with the high rates of rent and taxes—and living on minimum wage right out of high school makes it even harder. Despite all of these struggles, senior Catalina Rider and her fiance Kenny have successfully moved in together, and are embarking on the journey of building a home of their own.

Engaged over three months ago, Rider moved out of her childhood home on a houseboat and into a mobile home with Kenny.

“I’m 18 now and since I’m legally an adult, my parents thought it would be best for me to start living on my own,” said Rider.

The mobile home resides on property owned by Kenny’s family, and is being rented to the couple. They are both financially independent, and stridently facing all of the challenges that come along with living away from parental support.

When asked what advice she would give to others facing the financial demands of living alone, Rider said “keep track of money, it goes fast so you have to spend wisely. Get a job and invest in living a healthy lifestyle. Time goes by fast so invest your time in getting a job you enjoy doing, never give up your hobbies, your passions, and spending time with people you love.”

While many may be daunted by the task of tracking their finances, Rider suggests figuring out what the necessary expenses are, such as car payments, gas prices, insurance, groceries, and other everyday living costs. Then calculate how much you are spending on them every month so you have an idea of how much you need to work to be able to cover your costs and save for future expenses. Rider also advocates for comparing prices and shopping around to find the best deals so there is money to spare for extra things or in case of emergencies.

Rider is currently collecting workman’s compensation from an accident at her previous job in Avila Beach where she broke her femur. However, as she is almost healed, she plans to begin looking for a new job and continues to babysit on the side.

While wedding plans are not on the immediate horizon, Rider said “I am very happy. I am hoping to take his name someday, but marriage isn’t for awhile yet. I love him very much and I hope that I make a good wife someday.”

Out of the many difficulties seniors face living alone for the first time, one of the biggest may be realizing that they are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their house themselves. Rider has been quick to master responsibilities, taking care of other household chores after school and on the weekends. She also hopes to eventually plant her own garden and raise animals with Kenny. The cooking responsibilities usually fall to Kenny—Rider proudly exalts his cooking skills, though she says she is learning to cook more herself.

The couple plans to continue living in the mobile home together for the foreseeable future. Rider on will attend Cuesta with Kenny and study child development. An enthusiastic surfer, Rider hopes to travel, continue surfing, gain experience in a variety of jobs, and partake in missionary work while she figures out what she wants to do with their life.

When asked her favorite part about living away from home, Rider said “having so much freedom. I can make my own decisions on how to live my life. Along with knowing that you will get stressed out sometimes with all the new responsibilities, it feels so freeing to live on your own and to be independent.”

Ending the interview with a cheerful “Surf’s up! God bless!” Rider exhibits the kind and sunny nature that has come to define her. Always an optimistic and affable woman, Rider has a bright future ahead of her, and hopes to inspire other senior to take charge of their lives as well.