A Dummy’s Guide to Controlled Folly

Objects are simply blank mediums for humans to project feelings and past memories onto. One’s acts, as well as the acts of others, appear to be important because one has learned to think they are important.

Humans share a common, concrete idea of what composes this physical reality. One looks at an object and feels a spiral of memories, emotions, or some form of signal in the brain. In a world where everything is of equal value, however, nothing is important. One thinks about their acts, therefore, one has to believe their acts are important as one thinks they are. What’s the point of living if everything is meaningless?

A jar of ashes is amounted to just that. To you it might represent the death of a loved one leaving their physical body. To me it is a seasoning that tastes atrocious.

When asked about this conundrum San Luis Obispo High School graduate Jack Miklik said, “Meaning is relative to who means it. I could put sentiment onto an object and someone like Molly Foster would say ‘that is pointless,’ and the President of the United States would say, ‘there is no significant value in that inanimate object.’ But it means a lot to me. Nobody else cares about the meaning you put into a pencil that someone gave you on the last day of eighth grade that you keep in your bedside table waiting for the occasional scribble across a piece of parchment, but you care and it means a lot to you. Therefore, meaning is pointless until it is found.”

Free will doesn’t exist in the majority of the population. Start with self evaluation. When a San Luis Obispo High School student wakes up they generally have two concrete options: to either attend school in some form, or stay home. You receive a check and either cash it, or not. The average American relies upon technology and transportation as if these two vices were oxygen. The consistent dependency is a crutch of mindless routine and excuses one to not think. Thinking is a drag when one has a predisposed virtual reality to fully immerse oneself in and emulate. Pretty soon one finds oneself with mush for a brain, head first in a CAT scan.

All I ask is that each individual take time in solidarity for introspection. Evaluation of oneself can be challenging at first but if persistent, can lead to inner peace. From this inner place of content one is able to be fully present in life.

If I were to tell you that the entire purpose of this article was to disorient you, it will make you question the antecedent paragraphs. I act like I have a solid belief but I’m just playing with the potentials in my mind. Grain of salt is heavy.