Senior Tiara Bias as an Academic Athlete

San Luis Obispo High School students during summer indulge in sun rays and salty hair. However, during the summer, several dedicated athletes take charge in strengthening the tiger army during summer training for sports.  Senior Tiara Bias is a perfect example, this next school year she will only focus on one sport entering the new school year.

Expressions: What sport are you training for this school year?

Senior Tiara Bias: I will be training in the fall and winter for track in the spring.

Expressions: Why did you switch from being a two-sport athlete to just one?

Bias: I was always, for the most part, a one sport athlete. I did cheer and track freshman year, but I always had a broken foot or some lower leg injury that prevented me from trying out for sophomore and junior year. Plus I realized that even though I’m not the best-ranked person in track in my events that it was the only sport I excelled in and loved.

Expressions: How do you prioritize between training and academics?

Bias: To be honest I’m not the best at it. When track season rolls around my grades seem to drop a little. Especially this year, my season went longer than I thought it would and I was having a hard time staying awake. When I would get home from practice, I would pass out a lot without doing any homework. However, my closest friends are the ones that keep me going through it. I realized if they can do it, then I can at least try to get As and Bs.

Expressions: How do you keep yourself motivated to train throughout the years?

Bias: I just love the sport [track and field]. It’s one of the only sports where you’re part of a team but recognized as an individual. When it comes down to success I don’t need to depend on anyone but myself, and I love that. I don’t like depending on others to win. So, I train hard for my events to do as best as I can in the meets, and when I do, it feels amazing. It makes me forget about all my failures, and realize that I can do it. I just have to believe in myself and put in all the work I can.

Expressions: Do you plan to continue through college?

Bias: Not competitively but maybe like an intramural group for track. I’ll still run, sprint and jump to keep in shape, but when I go to college I really just want to focus on my art, and my future.