SLOHS Graduate Emily Linstead: Future Criminal Pathologist

At San Luis Obispo High school, students have many different interests and hobbies that they plan on turning into a career, whether it be law, politics, or art. Former SLOHS senior, Emily Linstead, has decided to follow her dream of becoming a forensic pathologist. Expressions caught up with her to discuss her exciting plans for the future.

Expressions: How did you become interested in forensic pathology?

Senior Emily Linstead: I’ve always been fascinated by crime investigation and death, but my freshman year my friend introduced me to the concept of autopsies and death investigation. I did my own research and I took anatomy and physiology at SLOHS last year and loved it. I saw a corpse up close and I knew I wanted to investigate them.

Expressions: What types of classes do you have to take in college in order to achieve your career goals?

Linstead: Biology, chemistry, physiology, anatomy, ect. You get a degree, go to medical school, graduate as a doctor, teach as a pathological resident, then take a year’s worth of forensic pathology training, where you investigate homicides, suicides, and natural deaths. I am looking at 10-15 years of school ahead of me.

Expressions: What kind of things do forensic pathologists do?

Linstead: They determine the cause of death by examining corpses. They can issue death certificates describing the cause or manner and circumstances of death (homicide, accidental, natural, undetermined.) They may testify to their findings as an expert witness in court, and they know how to see details that even other doctors don’t notice. They can reconstruct a crime based on how the body looks.

Expressions: What is it that you love about criminal pathology?

Linstead: I love investigation and medicine and science and this career combines all three. I think it’s very interesting because not every case is the same. And you investigate people from all walks of life- no matter where you come from, we are all going to die, and I personally find that comforting. I believe in being a death positive person, and I think this path helps spread that message.

Expressions: What do you hope to get out of a career in this field?

Linstead: I think this career is rewarding in a unique way. You’re seeing people that lost their lives and many have family that miss them and they’re still grieving. Though some might find it morbid and sad, I think that forensic pathology gives closure to the families of the victims- it may put a murderer behind bars or help them with a wrongful death lawsuit against a company that released a dangerous product. I feel that it’s rewarding career because you can answer a grieving person’s questions and keep people safe.