Mr. Norton, San Luis Obispo High school art teacher

Last year, San Luis Obispo High school hired a new art teacher, many students have had art teacher Michael Norton for ceramics and drawing over the past two years. Being a new teacher in a completely new environment can be overwhelming, but Michael Norton did an excellent job adapting. Students are now creating some of their best pieces with his help, because of his help in articulating the ideas students want to represent in their artwork. Expressions asked Mr. Norton questions about this year.

Expressions: How was this year as a whole?

Mr. Norton: Pretty awesome. It was great to both teach at SLOHS, and get to know the school.

Expressions: How has the social interaction between you and your students changed over the years?

Norton: During my seventeen years of teaching, I have definitely seen a difference in social interaction with students. As a teacher, I think the more years of teaching experience you have makes it easier to build a stronger learning environment in the classroom.

Expressions: Have your students effort to express themselves through art increased or decreased?

Norton: I would say that they have increased. I find that students are willing to take more risks when creating art. I think the visual bombardment and social issues that students are exposed to on a daily basis, which has radically increased throughout the years, has a greater influence within student’s work. Students seem more comfortable to incorporate social media issues in their artistic voices.

Expressions: Why did you choose to be an art teacher?

Norton: I’ve always been artistic and had a sincere interest in art. I think it was natural for me to gravitate towards a profession that incorporates the arts. Also, I had great art teachers in highschool that encouraged me to follow my artistic interests.

Expressions: Do you enjoy SLOHS more than your past school?

Norton: I’ve enjoyed all of the schools that I taught at. They all have both, positive and negative aspects and I have always focused on the positives.