Dear ASB, Get Rid of Prom Court

San Luis Obispo High School partakes in an especially archaic form of social distinguishment: prom court. In past years, ASB has adhered to the idea of having a prom king and prom queen, a male and female, but this year things have changed.

“ASB wants to be accepting, tolerant of different genders, and one thing we’re looking at is how people identify, and should we have the traditional queen king model,” said ASB director Jim Johnson.

This year, juniors and seniors received prom court nomination sheets asking for two student names and a reason why each should be nominated for the court. Although this is progress, the entire institution of prom court or “royalty” is preposterous.

“I think it’s unnecessary and an outdated tradition. I think it’s good ASB is attempting to be inclusive, but the whole idea of prom court is still just bad,” said senior Eve Hedges.

The nominations themselves are not inherently problematic, but the election of two “superior” students fosters a competitive and exclusive atmosphere that has no place in the SLOHS student body.

“By doing prom court we disrespect the memory of the peasants who for centuries were crushed beneath the iron heel of royalty,” said senior Ian McDougall.

Though a bit outlandish, McDougall’s comments echo the sentiments of exclusivity and popularity that many students feel regarding prom. In future years, ASB should do away with the entire idea of a court at prom and other school dances.