Parking Lot Downsized Due To Measure D Construction

Beginning on Tuesday, May 1, district workers will close off San Luis Obispo High School’s staff and visitor parking lot for Measure D construction. The construction is part of SLOHS’s broader expansion program that has already been taking place over the past two years, the latest of which is the creation of new buildings for student support and performing arts.

“We expect to have some headaches in this process, but we are excited to see the groundbreaking [sic] for the new student support building and performing arts space,” said SLOHS Principal Leslie O’Connor in an email to staff last week.

In anticipation of the new construction, contractors have already begun working on an alternate pathway for students and staff trying to get on campus on the east side of the main parking lot, connecting to the fire access road that leads up to the auto shop and Agricultural department.

Despite news of Measure D advancements, some students have expressed a concern about the lack of parking moving forward.

“It’s frustrating that this has to happen our senior year. We’ve had three years of waiting to get senior parking, and now that section of the parking lot is going to be given up to staff members who are also being pushed out of their parking lot section,” said senior Jayde Westphal.

Without a staff parking section, most non-student pedestrians will be pushed out into conventionally student parking sections. Administration does not currently have a plan to deal with potential excess cars, however they are confident the remainder of the parking lot will be sufficient and are ready to respond to any issues that may arise.